Brass Mallet

This was my second project. It was done mostly on the lathe, with the slot for the mallet handle being done on the milling machine.

This project also came from the back of Doug Briney's book: Home Machinist's Handbook.

Initial Setup

Here's the initial setup with the 3/4" brass rod mounted in the chuck. The cookie sheet catches most of the chips. I cut one end off in order to make it fit under the ways. Bigger...

Initial Setup Closeup

Closeup of the brass piece before starting. Bigger...

After Facing

The brass rod has been faced. Bigger...

Turned to Size

The brass rod has been turned down from 3/4" down to 0.7" Bigger...

Turned to Size

Zoom out of the previous picture. You can see the piece of cork that I used to catch most of the extra chips. Bigger...

Groove and Finish

A 0.062" deep groove was added 0.3" from the end using a 60 degree thread cutting toolbit. I also sanded the brass (which is why I put the paper towel across the ways). You can see the fine dust created on the face of the chuck. Bigger...

Swap End

The piece was turned around. I used a piece of paper to protect the finished end of the brass. I also clamped a dial indicator to the cross slide to get the piece aligned within a couple thou. Bigger...

Finished Turning

Here the remaining turning has been completed. Bigger...

After Polishing

Polishing wasn't required. I did it mostly to see how well it might work. After sanding on the lathe, I applied some Brasso to the piece and polised with my Dremel drill. Bigger...

Ready for milling

Here the mallet head is mounted in the vise ready to be milled. I left a bit hanging out of the end to aid in locating the center. There's a small piece of scrap aluminum underneath (visible just beneath the groove) so the vise doesn't get milled. Bigger...

Slot started

Here we see what it looks like after a few passes with the milling machine. I put a piece of cardboard behind the Y axis to try and contain some of the chips. The milling machine spreads chips everywhere :) Bigger...

Slot Started and Cleared

I used a small paint brush to clear away some of the chips. Bigger...

Chip Pile

The chip pile sure looks pretty. Bigger...

Finished Slot

The slot is finished, with the chips cleared away. I just had to deburr the edges of the slot. Bigger...

Finished Mallet

Here we have the finished mallet. This is the smallest handle I could find, and it's still obviously too big. Bigger...

Closeup of finished Mallet

Here's a closeup of the finished mallet. It's about 1.9" long. Bigger...


Home - Machinist - Projects

Copyright 2006 by Dave Hylands